Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: What do you think of the album?
Classic/Flawless 5 3.85%
Excellent 13 10.00%
Good 10 7.69%
Average 17 13.08%
Poor 85 65.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 28
Default

I will always defend 'The State' as a pretty good album, though every album thereafter was nothing but ear bleeding mess.
Richiban is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #92 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian View Post
See, the problem is, everyone reviews Nickelback as a rock band. They're not. They're a very generic POP band who have been marketed well by their record company and try to appeal to the rock category of fans, because in a time when pop music is rife, we're still in a minority. So, the record companies attempt to catch us with what LOOKS like a rock band on the surface, but is underneath, just another manufactured boy band, albeit with guitars.

That being said, they're makin' their money and I'm sure they're enjoying it, so I doubt if they're gonna go away any time soon. They have however, led more younger kids to pick up instruments, which cant be a bad thing. All in all, the only way anyone is ever going to come to terms with Nickelback as a "band" is if they accept that they're for money-making, not music-making, and if you dont like it, shut up about it, and ignore them.
I agree that Nickelback aren't really a legitimate topic of discussion for the dedicated community of music fans (unless somebody actually likes them - ::shudder:: ). It makes no more sense to make specific criticisms of them than to do the same of groups like 3DaysGrace and so forth. They're meant to be crap. The record company know these bands are not artists. They're simply shrewd craftsmen who make very marketable material.
Rainard Jalen is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #93 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

I don't really care what a bands motives are, weither they are in it for the money or not, a band can be in it for the money and still be damn good.

But with Nickelback, yeah, even as a grunge fan theres no denying that the worst thing that came out of grunge is post grunge, guys like STP and Filter are at least decent, but then you have all this crap like Puddle of Mudd, Seether, Alter Bridge, 3 Doors Down, Default and of course Creed and Nickelback.

Oh, and talk about unoriginal when a band actually rips off themselves.

YouTube - How you remind me of someday

Last edited by boo boo; 04-19-2008 at 06:40 PM.
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #94 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Actually I think it's better to rip off yourself than other bands. But as you say, it is more explicitly unoriginal.
Rainard Jalen is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #95 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Actually I think the opposite. Every band is inspired by and therefore ripping off somebody else in some way. I think its more admirable to rip off musicians you idolize than to completely rip off that one song that was a big hit from your last album because its profitable.

Last edited by boo boo; 04-19-2008 at 04:44 PM.
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #96 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Actually I think the opposite. Every band is inspired by and therefore ripping off somebody else in some way. I think its more admirable to rip off musicians you idolize than to completely rip off that one song that was a big hit from your last album because its profitable.
I think we were at cross purposes. What I meant by ripping off in this context, is the actual literal lifting of melodies and accompaniment lines rather than being inspired by an idea and trying to construct your own version of it.

With that said, I think it is more reprehensible to lift lines from other bands' successful songs than your own.
Rainard Jalen is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #97 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Dear god I think that alone shows how unoriginal they are, I can't believe I've never heard this till now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #98 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
I agree that Nickelback aren't really a legitimate topic of discussion for the dedicated community of music fans (unless somebody actually likes them - ::shudder:: ). It makes no more sense to make specific criticisms of them than to do the same of groups like 3DaysGrace and so forth. They're meant to be crap. The record company know these bands are not artists. They're simply shrewd craftsmen who make very marketable material.
I'd agree with this save for the closed-minded editorializing. I don't believe you actually "shuddered" or would shudder should you find out someone liked Nickleback. You talk about the dedicated music fan and how their not a topic of discussion, which I agree with. But then you go on to discuss it. You've rendered yourself, by your stance on them, and your subsequent commentary an undedicated music fan.

Therefore, let me say this about "dedicated" music fans. It really is the non-issue you've claimed it to be. I don't think I've ever been offended by Nickleback or in some way lamented the music industry because bands like this existed.

If you've ever been enthralled by a sound, or the idea behind a sound, it would be completely Non-sequiter for you to say something along the lines of "wow...too bad all bands don't sound this way" or more specifically "I wish nickleback sounded this way." For people who dislike them enough to shudder, I can't begin to imagine for what purpose you'd have come in.

I'm not suggesting that negative commentary should not come in to play, it should. But disappointment is one thing, finding nothing useful in something generally suggests a lack of interest. I can't recall the last time I went into the Punk Forum or its subsections because its not for me. I never have a negative review of ballet or curling or a preference between televised cooking shows.

Its hard for me to look at these reviews and think something else is going on here. I'm sure you're sick of me citing these unmentioned social aspects of music as the cause of your chest-thumping diatribes but if you can tell me why you'd comment on something you've never liked, purchased, or listened to live, I'd love to hear it.
TheBig3 is offline  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #99 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

So, you're telling me that every band you have ever criticized on this forum you have bought an album from or seen live?
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #100 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Well that of course would be ridiculous.

Critisized is one thing, and its very possible I've voilated my own rule. 3 years in one place, you're bound to change your opinion, but to take the time to openly renounce something you can't stand and don't consider part of any worthwhile discussion is another.

My point was, I don't go where I don't care to on these forums. Swim and I have had our brawls over the legitmacy of Hardcore and Emo and we had our points, but I still don't go in there and say "this is ****, you should listen to what I like or at the very least, not this."

Your question is an attempt to subvert my argument and furthermore, the bedrock of musical discussion and an unwritten rule of the forum.

How much would you tolerate someone going into, say a prog forum to say its all wankery and scales?
TheBig3 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.