Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Artist: Round 2: Poll C
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
British_pharaoh
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
How is it just as important? Maybe you should explain this before you make such claims because I don't see it as anything more than your typical 90s alternative guitar rock album and I hardly think it deserves to be placed next to Odelay or Loveless. Slanted & Enchanted, Ten, Nevermind (ignoring the impact factor), and the Blue Album sure because those are championed as classics but not necessarily innovative or groundbreaking ones.
again I refer back to the inferiority subject

innovation shouldn't be heralded just because it's new and original, there are a ton of really bad experimental bands and all innovation leaves behind a trail of ****e.

Smashing Pumpkins weren't the Velvets or Frank Zappa but they hardly made '**** music' as you call it

they just made one of the best alternative rock albums ever
Siamese Dream is important because it raised the bar of what an alternative rock record should sound like and became the face for the whole Alternative Rock genre.

and you're still dodging
Quote:
You'd put The Velvet Underground and Nico up with say Rubber Soul or Pet Sounds wouldn't you?

well you bloody should do anyway

now the latter 2 are hardly as innovative and experimental as the Velvets but they are still marvellous albums that are held in just as high esteem and by a lot of people maybe even higher
whether or not I know your opinions on the above albums doesn't matter

what matters is not many people in music would disagree with grouping those 3 albums together in terms of being 3 magnificent albums of the 60's

now they are all different pieces of work
but wouldn't you call all of them important?
would you put the Velvets higher than the Beatles jsut on the basis of innovation and experimentation??

Fat Ed's Guide To Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdqV_sqal0