Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Pick an artist
Beach Boys, The 10 23.26%
Fall of Troy, The 8 18.60%
Smashing Pumpkins, The 8 18.60%
Yes 10 23.26%
Wire 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #41 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Also, Yes are more original than Modest Mouse (who are just ripping off Built to Spill).

And ELP is more original than Animal Collective (who are just copying early 90s Flaming Lips)
Where did I ever claim Yes and ELP were less original than Animal Collective and Modest Mouse? I may like the latter two bands more but I never said they were more important. The irrelevancy needs to stop seriously.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I don't see how its much different than all the 90s alternative guitar rock, British Pharaoh seems to have no problem with me saying its unoriginal in fact you agreed with him when he said they should be praised for doing the same thing as their contemporaries and standing out while doing it. Weird how you're saying something different now.
I just said hes right about his overall point, which is that a bands originality dosen't matter if they stand out among their comtemporaries. That is very true. But thats all I was agreeing with.



Quote:
I never said they were, just more original.
You seemed to be trying to make the point that originality = importance.

Quote:
Who else sounds like the Fall of Troy?
Who else sounded like The Smashing Pumpkins before The Smashing Pumpkins?


Quote:
Yeah but we're not comparing a fairly unknown act to a popular one. We're talking Beck and The Smashing Pumpkins.
And originality dosen't give Beck any kind of edge, it all boils down to personal preference, thats it, I'm also pretty sure the Pumpkins are more influencial, you may hate most of these bands they influenced, but I'd say that makes them more important than how original they were.

Beck is also more original than Nirvana, but he sure as hell ain't more important.
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
British_pharaoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
How is it just as important? Maybe you should explain this before you make such claims because I don't see it as anything more than your typical 90s alternative guitar rock album and I hardly think it deserves to be placed next to Odelay or Loveless. Slanted & Enchanted, Ten, Nevermind (ignoring the impact factor), and the Blue Album sure because those are championed as classics but not necessarily innovative or groundbreaking ones.
again I refer back to the inferiority subject

innovation shouldn't be heralded just because it's new and original, there are a ton of really bad experimental bands and all innovation leaves behind a trail of ****e.

Smashing Pumpkins weren't the Velvets or Frank Zappa but they hardly made '**** music' as you call it

they just made one of the best alternative rock albums ever
Siamese Dream is important because it raised the bar of what an alternative rock record should sound like and became the face for the whole Alternative Rock genre.

and you're still dodging
Quote:
You'd put The Velvet Underground and Nico up with say Rubber Soul or Pet Sounds wouldn't you?

well you bloody should do anyway

now the latter 2 are hardly as innovative and experimental as the Velvets but they are still marvellous albums that are held in just as high esteem and by a lot of people maybe even higher
whether or not I know your opinions on the above albums doesn't matter

what matters is not many people in music would disagree with grouping those 3 albums together in terms of being 3 magnificent albums of the 60's

now they are all different pieces of work
but wouldn't you call all of them important?
would you put the Velvets higher than the Beatles jsut on the basis of innovation and experimentation??
__________________
"I hate Purity, I hate Goodness, I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt to the bones"

Fat Ed's Guide To Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdqV_sqal0
British_pharaoh is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GravitySlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I repeat: "Yeah but we're not comparing a fairly unknown act to a popular one. We're talking Beck and The Smashing Pumpkins."
yes but the point still stands.

originality does not necessarily result in importance, so you can't dismiss the Pumpkins as less important, or less deserving of acclaim, than Beck just because they're not as original.
GravitySlips is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #45 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
British_pharaoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 454
Default

influence becomes a bigger factor here also

more bands have been influenced by the Pumpkins than Beck or My Bloody Valentine

granted Alternative Rock is a much more popular genre and certainly more accessible but facts are facts
__________________
"I hate Purity, I hate Goodness, I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt to the bones"

Fat Ed's Guide To Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdqV_sqal0
British_pharaoh is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
I love Puck
 
Laces Out Dan!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 4,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
The Smashing Pumpkins >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Fall of Troy.
I forgot how you have the world's greatest taste in music and can tell when a band is better than another. Doesn't even matter on what circumstances. If you believe they're better, they really must be. We can all stop arguing now, Boo Boo has spoken.
__________________
We are entirely smooth, We admit to the truth, We are the best at what we do.
Laces Out Dan! is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #47 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GravitySlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_pharaoh View Post
more bands have been influenced by the Pumpkins than Beck or My Bloody Valentine
i'm not sure about that, i'd have thought MBV would've had a bigger overall influence than the Pumpkins.
GravitySlips is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul43 View Post
I forgot how you have the world's greatest taste in music and can tell when a band is better than another. Doesn't even matter on what circumstances. If you believe they're better, they really must be. We can all stop arguing now, Boo Boo has spoken.
I was exagerating because he pissed me off.

Smashing Pumpkins >>>>> The Fall of Troy

There, less arrows, you happy?
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #49 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_pharaoh View Post
again I refer back to the inferiority subject

innovation shouldn't be heralded just because it's new and original, there are a ton of really bad experimental bands and all innovation leaves behind a trail of ****e.

Smashing Pumpkins weren't the Velvets or Frank Zappa but they hardly made '**** music' as you call it

they just made one of the best alternative rock albums ever

Siamese Dream is important because it raised the bar of what an alternative rock record should sound like and became the face for the whole Alternative Rock genre.
I can see that and thinking about it I'd rather listen to Nevermind though I don't care for either but I hardly think doing something different for one scene makes it better than an album that did something for music as a whole.

Quote:
and you're still dodging
Yeah I replied saying it was irrelevant because you don't even know my opinion on those three albums. The Beatles obviously had more impact than the Velvets because the Beatles are probably the most popular band in the world but we're comparing two bands of similar popularity Beck and the Smashing Pumpkins. Odelay introduced something brand new to the music world and your argument for Siamese Dream is raised the bar...for one music scene.

Quote:
whether or not I know your opinions on the above albums doesn't matter

what matters is not many people in music would disagree with grouping those 3 albums together in terms of being 3 magnificent albums of the 60's
I wouldn't disagree with Siamese Dream ending up on a best album of the 90s list, I never said I would even though I don't like it. I would disagree with it being placed higher than Loveless and Odelay.

Quote:
now they are all different pieces of work
but wouldn't you call all of them important?
would you put the Velvets higher than the Beatles jsut on the basis of innovation and experimentation??
I basically replied to why the Beatles would probably rank higher because their impact was much more scene and the Beatles WERE actually quite experimental and introduced tons of new things. I think a more apt comparison for Siamese Dream vs. Odelay wouldn't be two experimental albums anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_pharaoh View Post
influence becomes a bigger factor here also

more bands have been influenced by the Pumpkins than Beck or My Bloody Valentine

granted Alternative Rock is a much more popular genre and certainly more accessible but facts are facts
See I completely disagree with that. I think Odelay quite a bit of impact, though it's kind of hard to see because Odelay still sounds just like Odelay and no one's copied it but it still had enough impact to where its comparable, and I think comparing the Smashing Pumpkins impact to My Bloody Valentines's is just laughable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
British_pharaoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I can see that and thinking about it I'd rather listen to Nevermind though I don't care for either but I hardly think doing something different for one scene makes it better than an album that did something for music as a whole.



Yeah I replied saying it was irrelevant because you don't even know my opinion on those three albums. The Beatles obviously had more impact than the Velvets because the Beatles are probably the most popular band in the world but we're comparing two bands of similar popularity Beck and the Smashing Pumpkins. Odelay introduced something brand new to the music world and your argument for Siamese Dream is raised the bar...for one music scene.



I wouldn't disagree with Siamese Dream ending up on a best album of the 90s list, I never said I would even though I don't like it. I would disagree with it being placed higher than Loveless and Odelay.



I basically replied to why the Beatles would probably rank higher because their impact was much more scene and the Beatles WERE actually quite experimental and introduced tons of new things. I think a more apt comparison for Siamese Dream vs. Odelay wouldn't be two experimental albums anyway.



See I completely disagree with that. I think Odelay quite a bit of impact, though it's kind of hard to see because Odelay still sounds just like Odelay and no one's copied it but it still had enough impact to where its comparable, and I think comparing the Smashing Pumpkins impact to My Bloody Valentines's is just laughable.
yeah i was gonna edit that bit but i knew it had probably already been read
lol
__________________
"I hate Purity, I hate Goodness, I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt to the bones"

Fat Ed's Guide To Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdqV_sqal0
British_pharaoh is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.