Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #701 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I disagree. Prog was pretty MIA in the 80s and was just starting to come around again in the 90s. But even though its not often reported, prog is back and healthy again now. And I think theres a lot of great stuff now.

Indie pretty much ruled the 90s and was great in the 80s too. But I think Indie is way too overexposed now, and right now prog has a lot better stuff to offer as far as I'm concerned. The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Spocks Beard, Flower Kings, Battles, Kayo Dot, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, The Fall of Troy, Godspeed You!!! Black Emperor, Isis. Overall this is a lot more interesting and musically stimulating to me than todays Indie scene.

HEY. Thats an unpopular opinion, good thing I posted that here eh?
lol, I guess so.

Regarding Battles, Godspeed You!!! Black Emperor, and Isis, it is interesting to find that they are very much acclaimed within the indie community. Not only that, but the first two are even frequently grouped as "indie". Hell, even in the case of Isis, I've heard terms like "indie metal" thrown around.

As for Battles in particular, I think it is the very case in point which demonstrates what is going on the best of all: that they have been so closely associated with the indie community tells me that, in many ways, it's all come back full circle! Prog is now indie all of a sudden, finally endorsed by those who scorned it for so long.

I think that's a positive sign, though. The best way forward for music at this juncture, I believe, is for artists to not shy away from trying certain things in order to avoid an unwanted label.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote