Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #703 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
So long as you're agreeing that whats known as indie and what is more than a sound to make dough is determined.
The goals of Prog and Indie are pretty much the same. The execution is just very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
lol, I guess so.

Regarding Battles, Godspeed You!!! Black Emperor, and Isis, it is interesting to find that they are very much acclaimed within the indie community. Not only that, but the first two are even frequently grouped as "indie". Hell, even in the case of Isis, I've heard terms like "indie metal" thrown around.

As for Battles in particular, I think it is the very case in point which demonstrates what is going on the best of all: that they have been so closely associated with the indie community tells me that, in many ways, it's all come back full circle! Prog is now indie all of a sudden, finally endorsed by those who scorned it for so long.

I think that's a positive sign, though. The best way forward for music at this juncture, I believe, is for artists to not shy away from trying certain things in order to avoid an unwanted label.
Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Anglagard, Spocks Beard, Flower Kings, they're all Indie label bands. But no one considers them Indie because they are well established as Prog. As for Battles, some don't think they are prog, because Prog has a few stupid purist fans who think any band that sounds "too different" from other prog bands can't be prog. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I think Indie bands are not just bands that are on an Indie label but simply have what would be considered an "Indie sound". In other words they dont fall into any other genre so they're Indie. Battles dispite being on an Indie label, sound like a prog band, and therefore are a prog band.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote