Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Track Mixtape Thread (Song Lists Without Links Will Be Deleted)
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #249 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

1. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
This song is a work of art to me, there are very few examples of such an uncommon piece of pop/rock music being so widely accepted. Each part stands alone as a very well crafted arrangement but when combined it takes on a life of its own.

2. Elton John - Empty Garden
One of the greatest tributes to another artist (John Lennon), the lyrics are very well crafted and written in metaphor but come through as blatantly obvious what Elton is singing about. He was close friends with Lennon and his pain comes through on this record.

3. The Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking
My favorite example of a kick ass Stones song that rips right through your soul with the first few chords. I love everything about this song, Jaggers vocals, Richards guitar work and the bridge just puts the icing on the cake.

4. Badfinger - Day After Day
Everything about this song is perfect to me, the lyrics, the guitar work, the vibe/mood it creates. I think most if not all people can relate to the words and it has that timeless sound that (imo) will never get old (even though production wise it sounds old).

5. U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
I like this song because it comes across as very open and honest. You can really feel Bono is singing about a personal subject that was very tough to go through. The arrangement is very well done and the dynamics of the song make the song.

6. Neil Young - Keep On Rocking In The Free World
This to me is a great example of an artist using his medium to speak out against the governments oversights/wrong doings/corruption. It's a great use of satire as well as Neil mentions some things that we as a people are guilty of in the free world in which we live. Almost like saying because we are free we are worse off because we can get away with more. At-least, that's what I am hearing.

7. Bee Gees - To Love Somebody
This song was originally intended for Otis Redding but since Redding passed away the Bee Gees decided to record it themselves, which was a great idea. I love how the soulfulness of the song comes through with the beauty of the Bee Gees harmony arrangement. Anybody who has loved someone that didn't feel the same back could identify with this one.

8. Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole
When I am in a rut and feel some of the decisions I have made weren't the best, I relate to this song more so then any other to do with that subject matter. I feel the song is very beautiful and the lyrics suggest wanting hope but because of how tainted the author feels he is, this hope is near impossible to him.

9. Weezer - Tired Of Sex
I love how off this arrangement sounds so loose and creates an unsettling feeling. This album (Pinkerton) had a very unconventional sound and in this song you have a rock star who is tired of just having meaningless sex with groupies and all he wants is to be in love (what a dilemma). I think many people can understand what Rivers is feeling and his emotions come through towards the end loud and clear.

10. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
I love the honesty of this song as well as the music. My only wish is that a third verse was written differently then just re-using the second verse but the song is so beautiful I am willing to forgive Mr. Wilson for this.

Last edited by Whatsitoosit; 05-07-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Whatsitoosit is offline   Reply With Quote