Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people call bands like Fall Out Boy and Good charlotte "Sellouts"?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #76 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack fire drill View Post
That's probably where most people are going to disagree with you. Most people see music as much more than business they see it as an art. Most bands who view their music as business completely suck anyway and are obviously in it for the wrong reasons.
so should I add this entry into the "unpopular opinions" thread?

I think bands that don't have a good sense of business more then likely get screwed and become "that band that wrote that song, who were they again?". Like anything you need a good plan before you just go out there and show the world what you got. Of course to that artist the music is their art but in order for it to get to our ears and be deciphered as art it needs to be pumped through the music business factory. This is just relating to bands that are popular... not talking about local acts that (outside of that town) nobody really knows about. If a band wants to stay relevant and continue to sell, they need to play the game and "sell out".

Think of any band that is more then 20 years old and still popular, I guarantee you somebody in that band has a sharp sense of business and/or they have a damn good manager that is telling them what to do. Just being talented and writing good songs isn't enough, you need to know how to break through and stay relevant.