Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Artist: Round 2: Poll K
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
And they wonder why I'm always ranting about Indie fans when there are guys like you around who do nothing but confirm all the negative stereotypes I associate with Indie fans.

The Mars Volta actually have a reasonable following from prog fans, that I can tell you. Also you're just wrong. The Mars Volta are an excellent band, not just because they are great musicians but they're making challenging music that certainly hasn't been done before, and Indie fans are always raving about music thats "new and fresh" so I don't f*cking get why Indie fans hate them so much, hmm.... I have a guess though, its because they're actually good.
I could sit and hammer my wall with a mallet, and program a drum beat over it. That could be challenging music that hasn't been done before. Doesn't make it good. The Mars Volta may be good musicians, but compositionally they fall drastically short, and more and more so with each release. Absolutely, their last album is one of the most meandering pieces of garbage I have ever heard. Completely devoid of direction. I tried to like them, I really did. I mean I love, I mean LOVE, At the Drive In, so it's not any sort of problem with the band members themselves. It just saddens me to see such talent go to waste, even if it is "original" waste.

This conception you have of "indie fans" exists only inside your own head, by the way. Your obsession with it is one of the most ridiculous things on this site, to the point where it's embarassing. Just accept that people have different opinions and tastes in music, and not everyone wants to hear 15 minutes of garbage meandering when they're listening to music. Some of us would rather listen to Death Cab for Cutie, some of us would rather listen to Led Zeppelin, some of us would rather listen to Merzbow. Everyone believes they're listening to the best **** ever, not just "indie kids". So stop this useless spiel about "indie fans" because it's utter garbage.

Incidentally, most fans of The Mars Volta I know are exactly what you seem to portray as "indie kids". Most Mars Volta fans where I'm from are your stereotypical indie kids, which is not really a bad thing unless you have deluded yourself into believing a pile of nonsense