Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Pick a band
Bjork 4 12.12%
Godspeed You! Black Emperor 4 12.12%
Husker Du 5 15.15%
Mars Volta, The 13 39.39%
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
All good bands except TMV
No.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Methville
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
the latter is mostly noise.
Thats the appeal.
The Unfan is offline  
Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Whatever. Not my thing.

TMV get a lot of unfair flack, so I'm glad they're winning this.

But Bjork in last?
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,760
Default

I loved Nick's work with The Bithday Party....and I loved Dig,Lazuras,Dig
Farfisa is offline  
Old 05-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GravitySlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,578
Default

I'm surprised you like The Mars Volta, boo boo. Most "prog" fans seem to hold that band in some disdain, along with the rest of us sensible folks. Surprising indeed. They are terrible, with the exception of their first album which had some promising moments...that one is merely bad, not terrible.
GravitySlips is offline  
Old 05-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
I'm surprised you like The Mars Volta, boo boo. Most "prog" fans seem to hold that band in some disdain, along with the rest of us sensible folks. Surprising indeed. They are terrible, with the exception of their first album which had some promising moments...that one is merely bad, not terrible.
And they wonder why I'm always ranting about Indie fans when there are guys like you around who do nothing but confirm all the negative stereotypes I associate with Indie fans.

The Mars Volta actually have a reasonable following from prog fans, that I can tell you. Also you're just wrong. The Mars Volta are an excellent band, not just because they are great musicians but they're making challenging music that certainly hasn't been done before, and Indie fans are always raving about music thats "new and fresh" so I don't f*cking get why Indie fans hate them so much, hmm.... I have a guess though, its because they're actually good.

Last edited by boo boo; 05-12-2008 at 12:18 AM.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GravitySlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
And they wonder why I'm always ranting about Indie fans when there are guys like you around who do nothing but confirm all the negative stereotypes I associate with Indie fans.

The Mars Volta actually have a reasonable following from prog fans, that I can tell you. Also you're just wrong. The Mars Volta are an excellent band, not just because they are great musicians but they're making challenging music that certainly hasn't been done before, and Indie fans are always raving about music thats "new and fresh" so I don't f*cking get why Indie fans hate them so much, hmm.... I have a guess though, its because they're actually good.
I could sit and hammer my wall with a mallet, and program a drum beat over it. That could be challenging music that hasn't been done before. Doesn't make it good. The Mars Volta may be good musicians, but compositionally they fall drastically short, and more and more so with each release. Absolutely, their last album is one of the most meandering pieces of garbage I have ever heard. Completely devoid of direction. I tried to like them, I really did. I mean I love, I mean LOVE, At the Drive In, so it's not any sort of problem with the band members themselves. It just saddens me to see such talent go to waste, even if it is "original" waste.

This conception you have of "indie fans" exists only inside your own head, by the way. Your obsession with it is one of the most ridiculous things on this site, to the point where it's embarassing. Just accept that people have different opinions and tastes in music, and not everyone wants to hear 15 minutes of garbage meandering when they're listening to music. Some of us would rather listen to Death Cab for Cutie, some of us would rather listen to Led Zeppelin, some of us would rather listen to Merzbow. Everyone believes they're listening to the best **** ever, not just "indie kids". So stop this useless spiel about "indie fans" because it's utter garbage.

Incidentally, most fans of The Mars Volta I know are exactly what you seem to portray as "indie kids". Most Mars Volta fans where I'm from are your stereotypical indie kids, which is not really a bad thing unless you have deluded yourself into believing a pile of nonsense
GravitySlips is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
I could sit and hammer my wall with a mallet, and program a drum beat over it. That could be challenging music that hasn't been done before. Doesn't make it good.
Or its just because its not repetitive enough for your attention span. I really don't care, but you were being a jerk about it.

Quote:
The Mars Volta may be good musicians, but compositionally they fall drastically short, and more and more so with each release. Absolutely, their last album is one of the most meandering pieces of garbage I have ever heard. Completely devoid of direction. I tried to like them, I really did. I mean I love, I mean LOVE, At the Drive In, so it's not any sort of problem with the band members themselves. It just saddens me to see such talent go to waste, even if it is "original" waste.
If you actually undertood the direction they were taking, and have listened to a lot of prog, especially the more avant garde stuff like Henry Cow, then I don't see what makes The Mars Volta so inaccessible by comparison. Hell, I find there to be a lot more sturcture in De-Loused then say Tago Mago by Can.

Known in some Indie circles as "The only good prog band"

Quote:
This conception you have of "indie fans" exists only inside your own head, by the way. Your obsession with it is one of the most ridiculous things on this site, to the point where it's embarassing. Just accept that people have different opinions and tastes in music, and not everyone wants to hear 15 minutes of garbage meandering when they're listening to music. Some of us would rather listen to Death Cab for Cutie, some of us would rather listen to Led Zeppelin, some of us would rather listen to Merzbow. Everyone believes they're listening to the best **** ever, not just "indie kids". So stop this useless spiel about "indie fans" because it's utter garbage.
As many times as I've heard this, I've never heard a good example of why I'm wrong about my generalizations.

Indie fans are very predictable.

Quote:
Incidentally, most fans of The Mars Volta I know are exactly what you seem to portray as "indie kids". Most Mars Volta fans where I'm from are your stereotypical indie kids, which is not really a bad thing unless you have deluded yourself into believing a pile of nonsense
I'm not talking about all scenesters, just a specific breed. I dub them Pitchforkians.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

I thought MV were popular with the Pitchfork lot?
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
Reformed Jackass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,961
Default

Uh, have you seen their review from Pitchfork?
ProggyMan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.