Music Banter - View Single Post - Wilco
Thread: Wilco
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
Being on the radio has nothing to do with being alternative music. If you think that what you said is true, then how do you defend against Beastie Boys, The Cure, Nirvana, R.E.M., The Smashing Pumpkins, and U2, all alternative pop/rock artists who get plenty of airplay?
Alternative music is basically alternative to mainstream music which has a lot to do with being on the radio or not. You can be on the radio and be alternative but you have to be doing something that isn't middle of the road popular country which Dwight Yoakam does.

Quote:
I have yet to hear you explain how Wilco are country rather than rock, but fine. First of all, not even all of their albums are alternative country-rock albums (and none of them are country albums). A Ghost Is Born doesn't have any alternative country-rock in it.
Here's the proof (one of their best song):

I would like one source (outside of this web site) that you could show me that shows Wilco is a country band and not a rock band.
I hate it when people argue like this. Your average Wilco song tends to sound more like Jesus, Etc. or The Late Greats. So I'd like you to explain how the majority of their work, including the tracks I listed, are rock as opposed to picking and choosing your own examples to help your argument.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote