Wilco (alternative, country, indie, rock, genre) - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Best Album
AM 7 11.67%
Being There 6 10.00%
Summerteeth 3 5.00%
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 34 56.67%
A Ghost Is Born 6 10.00%
Sky Blue Sky 3 5.00%
Wilco (The Album) 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
joderu95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 93
Default

Wilco is a fine band. What I don't get is why no love for Son Volt? If you force me to choose between the two Uncle Tupelo offshoots I'd have to go for Son Volt. They seem a little more versatile than Wilco and I just really like the way Farrar's voice sounds. Both wonderful bands though.
__________________
Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? ~Pink Floyd
joderu95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,965
Default

How isn't Wilco country? You have a very narrow-view of music if you think country ends with Hank Williams that's like saying rock ends with Elvis. Wilco is alt-country defined. People need to stop assuming just because a band has the typical guitarist/bassist/drummer line-up they're a rock band.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Reformed Jackass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,961
Default

Why do you have to include insults about people's intelligence with every one of your posts?
ProggyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,965
Default

Well I would reply but I'm obviously too unintelligent. I mean I don't think Wilco sounds like most of those artists. Dwight Yoakam? Give me a break. I think half the artists you listed sound nothing alike eachother. Stupid me!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,965
Default

Problem with that is Dwight Yoakam isn't alternative country. Not only was he all over country radio but he sounds like half the artists on country radio today. You're the one who needs to educate himself because frankly it looks like you just name-dropped a bunch of artists and then slapped the term on them. Wilco isn't rock and you've yet to explain how they're rock you just made a bunch of ill comparisons in hope it would hide the fact you didn't actually explain how Wilco are rock. So please explain how Wilco are rock instead of trying to dazzle everyone with your faux-musical knowledge.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
Being on the radio has nothing to do with being alternative music. If you think that what you said is true, then how do you defend against Beastie Boys, The Cure, Nirvana, R.E.M., The Smashing Pumpkins, and U2, all alternative pop/rock artists who get plenty of airplay?
Alternative music is basically alternative to mainstream music which has a lot to do with being on the radio or not. You can be on the radio and be alternative but you have to be doing something that isn't middle of the road popular country which Dwight Yoakam does.

Quote:
I have yet to hear you explain how Wilco are country rather than rock, but fine. First of all, not even all of their albums are alternative country-rock albums (and none of them are country albums). A Ghost Is Born doesn't have any alternative country-rock in it.
Here's the proof (one of their best song):

I would like one source (outside of this web site) that you could show me that shows Wilco is a country band and not a rock band.
I hate it when people argue like this. Your average Wilco song tends to sound more like Jesus, Etc. or The Late Greats. So I'd like you to explain how the majority of their work, including the tracks I listed, are rock as opposed to picking and choosing your own examples to help your argument.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,965
Default

You know what I'm not even going to argue with you on this because it's obvious you're too caught up in being "right" to bother listening to any sort of reason. I mean the fact you think I'm lacking confidence by choosing the Late Greats as opposed to the original one I picked I Am Trying to Break Your Heart just shows your complete lack of knowledge of Wilco's music seeing as they sound very similar stylistically. Oh and I referenced the Late Greats which isn't off of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, good job screwing up the title by the way. Obviously you're the real Wilco fan here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
Well, aside from the fact that I own every album they've released, I guess I don't know Wilco music. Way to spring one on me. Listening to reason? You haven't listened to anything I've said. You dodge all the points I make while I always address yours point by point. If anything you've got it backwards, as your not listening to my reasoning.
The great irony of this whole post is:

1. You don't explain the stylistic difference between I Am Trying to Break Your Heart and the Late Greats.

2. You still haven't addressed how the Late Greats is on "Yankee Foxtrot Hotel"

3. You also haven't addressed your inability as the great Wilco fan to explain why you couldn't even get the album title correct.

Good job being the one on the high road here and always addressing points!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
1. Their not all that different. Their both rock songs.
How are they rock songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
2. I explained this when I edited my post above. Read it.
Odd...seeing as you'd acknowledged my edit and had still said that...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
I guess you forgot to address points two and three. What a shocker.
I did address point two and I guess I can tear into you some more for point 3 if you want but I don't see a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
Why don't we try this in reverse for once and I get to ask you. How are they country songs?
They're almost folk tunes in their simplicity. I don't see how the songs are much different from some of the stuff Johnny Cash has done. They're very simple acoustic driven songs with no rock elements whatsoever.

Oh and as for Jesus, Etc. it's very country sounding, slowed-down and rootsy. It even has a steel guitar (at least on the live version) and violins, hardly very "rock" instruments.

Finally I'd like to add alternative-country-rock is kind of a stupid term because alt. country is basically country with non-country elements (i.e. rock or in cases like Okkervil River indie-folk) so Wilco having rock elements or being alternative-country-rock is basically the same thing. This is just you showing your typical analism when it comes to genre. None of the Wilco fans here (and there are some huge ones like sweet jane and hookers) have complained about this being here in fact they even think Wilco is alternatve country. You're being ridiculous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.