Music Banter - View Single Post - The Case For/ The Case Against..
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
sl1ck
Wish Fulfillment

Right, we clearly have different interpretations of the music. And again, I didn't say all of the songs were complete rip offs, I pointed that out rather clearly in my post. And there was no copying and pasting from anywhere, although I have done my research over the years to support my arguments. However, if you want more examples I found these here (didn't even know about some of them):

Led Zeppelin

# "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
# "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
# "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
# "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
# "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
# "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
# "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
# "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
# "Moby ****" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
# "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
# "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
# "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."

And I don't have the time or the desire to go and hunt down other examples.

I am very familiar with the 8 and 12 bar blues and the blues scale. I love the blues, it's one of my favorite genres of music. Anything from Son House to Mississippi John Hurt to Reverend Gary Davis, etc. I love and enjoy listening to.

You can't complain about not being able to see examples and then get upset when some are posted. Let's keep the discussion civil, no need for animosity or name calling.

Last edited by sl1ck; 05-21-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Link to website wasn't showing up
sl1ck is offline   Reply With Quote