Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #1187 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Yeah. Tommorrow Never Knows. Norwegian Wood. A Day in the Life. Strawberry Fields. I Am The Warlus. Happiness is a Warm Gun. Such sheer lack of originality.
God, you make it sound as if I'm attacking them. I'm not! You simply don't get it. The point is, they didn't invent any of the subgenres epitomized by those kinds of songs: they were not the firsts of their kind. Other artists had been being far more audacious for ages.

1966: Beatles come out with the Brill Building-inspired Revolver, the most sophisticatedly poppy album they ever managed, getting further away from rock'n'roll than they had ever been previously. Meanwhile, what was going on elsewhere? The Blues Magoos and the 13th Floor Elevators were pioneering psychedelic experimentation on a grand scale, Frank Zappa was debuting with the groundbreaking concept album Freak Out!, the Fugs and the Seeds were playing around with avant-garde inspired freeform jams, the Yardbirds were out with Roger The Engineer, the list goes on and on... - ROCK music was being born!

Quote:
That is just plain wrong.
How so? The White Album is explicitly derivative and isn't trying to cover that up. It's a parody album. It takes and mocks every style there was in existence. From the first song and onwards (Back In The U.S.S.R.: a Beach Boys parody).

Quote:
Yeah, we can't forget that having influences make you unoriginal.
This isn't a discussion about originality, it's a discussion about innovation. The Beatles were not and were never musical innovators. They were pop geniuses, and followers of the pack when it came to their own experimentation. End of story.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote