Music Banter - View Single Post - "The Wizard of Oz" is apparently on the "Dark Side Of The Moon"
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

first off - dark side of the moon was primarily written by roger waters. all the lyrics are credited to him. the other band members had some involvement in the creative process but waters was in charge.

i was sober when i tried the floyd / oz thing. while it's more than likely just a huge coincidence the fact that the album plays through 2 and a half times during the film and continues to sync up in different ways as it progresses is kind of hard to deny.

it's true that your brain will find ways to associate different elements of what you're hearing to coincide with what you're seeing (apophenia) . but it's kind of weird to see a bunch of midgets dancing to the heartbeat that closes the album the SECOND time it plays through.

then again, much in the same way that a lot of hit singles follow I-IV-V chord patterns and use similar compositional structures (intro - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - chorus - verse - chorus - outro) filmmakers often employ similar compositional mechanics when pacing the development of their story and their characters.

it's really not that far of a stretch for someone to read through general screenplay mechanics to learn how to capture an audiences mood and then use that knowledge in a slightly different context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote