Music Banter - View Single Post - Avant Rock / Non-Prog Non-Indie Experimental
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Thats a bit pointless, most avant rock could be considered progressive rock. What you consider to be avant rock is probably also considered to be some form of progressive rock.

I think prog is a broad enough term to cover what you're talking about, it's not just bands like Pink Floyd and Genesis. Anything from Zappa to The Residents could be considered prog.
LOL. I don't have a problem with it being called prog at all. If the definition of prog can encompass ambient experimental, noise and so forth, then fine. But personally I don't think prog is usually used with those sorts of connotations in mind so I don't think it would do any harm to use a term like avant rock or whatever to make it extra clear.

The meaning of my "non-prog non-indie" statement is that the band itself and most fans of the band would not quite see it as being captured under terms like "prog" and "indie". So it's really about self-definition. If neither term is really appropriate in the minds of fans and the general commentary on a particular band, then that ought to be respected.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote