Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #111 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

For a quick summary please skip to the bottom line of this massive turd of a post.
This is indulgent and over-long but I'm too far into writing it to stop

2001-2008 is all a bit of a blur really. Probably started actively seeking to buy music after watching the then-new music channels on satellite TV (yep, endless back-to-back music promos).

After that I think music magazines like Q and (by 2002) NME really got me enthusiastic; if I read an enthralling article on something I'd never heard before I'd buy it once I got the money. When you're that age and pretty gullible the NME was the cutting edge and every week it was a new bible.

One of the first bands I saw live was the Hives (I caught the garage rock-revival bigtime), and my first festival (not that I can afford to attend them often) was V2001.

My older cousin handed down her obsession with Red Hot Chili Peppers, alot of grunge-era records and Britpop; I loved Blur and Oasis.

I was an avid reader of the NME until 2004, and Mojo magazine ran alot of retrospectives that got me into certain bands. Punk fit me like a glove at that time and I outgrew the puerile 90's pop-punk that I'd grown up on. Joe Stummer's death I remember as being a milestone.

So until 2006 it was broadly just 'rock' (70's, 80's, alternative, indie, post-punk) and old-skool hip hop broken up by the usual smatterings of unfamiliar territory.

Having owned a few 60's records, some Beatles albums, I made a lifelong (I hope) friend in university who opened my eyes to that particular decade, and helped me to appreciate a good key change; sort of laying the foundations for everything that was to come. He also overturned the music mag indoctrination that discarded most 90's guitar music as worthless. In exchange I filled him in on punk's levelling of pop culture and the glorious aftermath. NOBODY on our music course (or seemingly the whole college) knew as much as we did, or had that open-mindedness and voracious curiosity; which is ****ing depressing.

My 28-year-old, tax-dodging, DJ flatmate from 2005-2007 was my ticket into the world of 'electronic/dance' music that I'd always waited for, having seen it's peak in the mid-90's. That ever-present cultural underground will always be a safety net of sorts..

Since then I've just consumed literally everything that seems genuine or original. Through drunken poverty, unemployment and mental instability I always found the cash to survive for that next trip to the record shop!
I got my own desktop and broadband connection nearly a year ago and I have no idea how I managed without this resource before - Wiki, music blogs (**** torrents) and this very forum are my crack. mmm. crack.

So my music taste has changed ALOT over the years, yeah?

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 06-25-2008 at 09:51 AM.