Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

I give you credit for posting such a list and I know that you will have the knowledge to back it up. Here is my two- penneth:

I find it quite ironic that you won't put Led Zeppelin in yet they are one of the most overated bands of all time, however Ithink that was a little tongue in cheek from yourself.

20. Radiohead - They are media darlings but they are still an acquired taste and I know lots of people who don't like them. There is quite a lot of their output that I don't like but overrated? Not for me.

19. The Grateful Dead - I have only heard a couple of tracks and that was'nt enough to entice me into getting an album. They are not as big over here though.

18. Snoop Dogg - Used to be a pimp. Nuff said. The guy is a stain on rap.

17. Coldplay - The new album has signs of a band changing their direction slightly which is a good sign but apart from the track 'Sparks', I have never liked their safe 'dad rock'.

16. The Doors - Solid band but Morrison gets far too much credit (agrred with Urban).

15. The Eagles - They did one ballad 'I can't tell you why' which was a good track but they are generally bland insipid radio rock.

14. Garth Brooks - Who? lol

13. John Lennon(post-Beatles) - I listen to his solo music much more than McCartney's and his music has lasted well. 'Cold Turkey' and 'I'm Losing You' are excellent tracks but yeah his solo work was'nt amazing.

12. Eminem - Made one truly excellent track 'Lose Yourself' which was him letting some emotion out for a change and hinted at how good he could have been instead of all the jokey clappy happy bland crap he spewed out.

11. Kanye West - Only heard a few tracks. Thought they were awful.

10. The Rolling Stones - Not a big fan at all and they should have called it a day years ago but their early work should not be ignored.

9. Nirvana - Agreed. Right band, right time.

8. 2 PAC - I like quite a lot of his stuff but I do realise that most of it is posthumous so yeah he is overated.

7. Kiss - I think that they have made some really good tracks in their time. I like a fair bit of their 80's output-'Creatures Of The Night', 'Animalise' and 'Lick It Up' and appreciate it for what it is-toe tapping catchy rock. Have they ever been really rated though? . I thought people just seen them as entertainers.

6. Dave Matthews Band - Never heard anything by them.

5. White Stripes - Agreed but they have a big following who love their back to basics sound. Unfortunately I just find them basic.

4. Prince - 'Sign Of The Times' is the greatest pop album of the 80's bar none and all of his release are peppered with brilliance. If Prince is overated why isn't Michael Jackson on this list?

3. Bruce Springsteen - We have an image of him based upon 'Born To Run' which is not the whole package but he is a quintessential American artist who celebrates his blue collar roots. I have only just started to listen his work but there is a lot more happening in his music than I gave him credit for.

2. U2 - Yes they are overated but I like them. There I said it.

#1!!!!!!!!! Mariah Carey - Number 1? Don't know about that but all those warbling divas should become astronauts i.e shot into space. Houston, Carey,Dion-all absolutely terrible.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote