Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
20. Radiohead

Most Overrated Album: OK Computer, it's great but not their best.
Most Overrated song: Paranoid Android

As I hinted at in my intro, I didn’t like putting Radiohead on my list. They pop up occasionally online as overrated but rarely is any sort of compelling case made. It’s usually something like; “they suck, get over it”, this will not do. But after having some more thoughtful discussions with some more seasoned music minds, it became painstakingly clear that Radiohead were not only over rated but actually have redefined overrated in the modern era.

The problem is beyond the control of the band. They just continue to make consistently good music with innovative marketing, production and performances. They never claim to be great nor grandiose, they just make music. However they are the victims of an MTV culture. The problem for Radiohead is that it’s cool to like Radiohead. This sounds good on the surface but as you come to realize with age, a lot of times when you don’t like people, you don’t want them to like you either.

People who have listened to Karma Police three times (twice covered by some chick with an acoustic guitar) claim to be “huge” Radiohead fans. No one dares say Radiohead made a mediocre album, **Cough** Amnesiac **Cough**. When all is said and done they may not be overrated, but as for now they are very much overrated by people who have not even given them a fair listen and that lands them at #20, plus it’s a lot more controversial then most other choices I considered for this spot.
I agree completely. I personally love Radiohead, having spent a small fortune on tickets and albums. But I understand that it's become feng shui to like Radiohead, just like it's cool to wear a Pink Floyd t-shirt and say Led Zeppelin was rad. They have achieved an over-hyped image which doesn't befit their music. They are great musicians, but some people (like my sister) who listen to Pablo Honey and enjoy it need to pull their heads out of their asses.

I still say you should have put The Beach Boys on there. I read a Rolling Stone article a couple months ago, where some dude interviewed Brian Wilson. (I think it was after his Kennedy Center nomination.) The ****sucker was comparing them to The Beatles. And all the while, I was just thinking, "No. ****ing no." Pet Sounds was good, I'll admit that. But you morons out there who put them in league with the Stones, the Who, or the Kinks need to learn that good music is beyond catchy harmonies and surfwax beats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I give you credit for posting such a list and I know that you will have the knowledge to back it up. Here is my two- penneth:

I find it quite ironic that you won't put Led Zeppelin in yet they are one of the most overated bands of all time, however Ithink that was a little tongue in cheek from yourself.
I won't deny that it's not true, that there are people out there who venerate Led Zeppelin beyond all other bands (myself being one of them). But it's so hard to characterize collossal bands like that as overrated when they did so many things perfectly. I'm a fan, but I don't own a t-shirt or have a tattoo of one of their symbols, and sometimes I too get pissed at those that do. But you have to understand - they were huge. This is why I find it questionable to include The Rolling Stones in the list because they were there forty years ago defining the music that spawned generations of rockers. The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd - these bands are off-limits, despite how overrated they may be by some rabid fans. They simply did too much too well.

EDIT: Ha, would you look at that. I just noticed your signature as it played through my speakers. Freaky.

Last edited by lucifer_sam; 06-30-2008 at 03:12 PM.
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote