Music Banter - View Single Post - WANTED: For crimes against music
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #91 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
They were a huge influence upon the burgeoning folk genre. Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, and Bob Dylan each had their own unique sound, but it was really Simon and Garfunkel that brought folk to the masses. And if you want to discredit them for choosing to entice fans with their incredible harmonies, that's your problem. But you can't expect others to share your misguided views.

Oh, and Jimi Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower is living proof that a cover can be better than the original. Don't feed me shit about it being a travesty. It's complete bullshit to dishonor a song because of some negative stigma you have about covers.
Nowhere did I say that SG were not influential or popular. I simply stated that I don't like them. Peter, Paul, and Mary were quite influential and popular, but they're not very good.

I have no "negative stigma about covers." There are plenty of artists who improved on another person's original song, and I never stated otherwise. In the case of Watchtower, though, I don't think anyone (Dylan himself included) ever topped the version on John Wesley Harding.
WaspStar is offline   Reply With Quote