Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #52 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody222111 View Post
Reading some of the titles on the "Overrated list" I gotta say your out of your mind. Half the list were the people who changed or defined there era or genre. Im surprised you dont have Elvis on there because he sold records because of controversy.

I agree with....
Radiohead
The Grateful Dead
Snoop - hes still better than todays rap btw

but dude
-Nirvana?!?! The band who defined grunge music and if Kurt Cobain was a musical genious whats wrong with you? they would of been legendary.
-The Doors, The Eagles, Kiss, and the Rolling Stones how can you be overrated if we still listen to there music today?
-Coldplay isn't overrated they just sell alot of albums, people actully love there music.
-Eminem - sparked more controversy than anyone since elvis, also a rapper who didn't appeal to what the public wanted to hear he just told his story. He was also lyrically one of the best alive.
-Tupac - you kidding? have you listened to rap today compared to Tupac? hes an all time great of his genre.

I think you'll find there are compelling counterpoints to all your contentions. Also it's been mentioned in multiple posts throughout the thread that all of the bands on the list are good if not very good. Overrated suggests nothing about the quality of a band, except relative to critical acclaim\review.

I'll get more in depth as I address each artist on the list, however to breifly touch on it since I've never seen you on here before.

Nirvana was the face of the movement to be sure, but the crux of my argument will be that it's not unfair to suggest musically there are several bands of the era that have as good or better material and a much longer discography.

The Doors, were just addressed, The Eagles are on deck (but you won't win that argument here) Kiss is sort of viewed as a novelty now-a-days and the Stones, for all their greatness have plenty to critique and frankly haven't produced an interesting song in nearly 20 years.

Eminem - I won't be able to change your mind, but in reality he has 1 good album (That i grew tired of in months) and a bunch of questionable material. His singles are corny and do not hold up over time, he lacks the discipline to put together a consistent liuve show let alone tour. Even his biggest fans could do 10 paragraphs on his shortcomings and faults if they were honest.

2-PAC - A lot like Nirvana, timing made the legacy more then the discography and while his words are pretty good and there are some interesting song concepts especially on "All eyes on me" over all it's not nearly the most impressive collection in hip-hop as it is sometimes granted.

Hope you'll follow the thread and offer your opinions especially those that differ from mine.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote