Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #53 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
16. The Doors

Most Overrated Album: Strange Days
Most Overrated song: Break on Through

So it's not like the Doors suck or anything. In fact their self-titled debut album is okay, LA Woman is a fascinating album, and there are some good singles mixed in their discography. Here's the thing. Jim Morrison was a decent lyricist and a pretty average song writer. A lot of their psychedelic and artsy stuff is just crap. "The End" is pure rubbish, Crystal ship makes me want to walk the plank, and every time I see that "American Poet" poster I just wonder what Whitman, Cummings, Thoreau and especially T.S. Elliot would think.

Here's an example of Morrison's "Poetry"

Whoa, yeah!
C'mon, yeah
Yeah, c'mon, yeah
Yeah, c'mon
Oh, yeah, ma
Yeah, I'm a back door man
I'm a back door man
The men don't know
But the little girl understand
Hey, all you people that tryin' to sleep
I'm out to make it with my midnight dream, yeah
'Cause I'm a back door man
The men don't know
But the little girls understand
All right, yeah
You men eat your dinner
Eat your pork and beans
I eat more chicken
Than any man ever seen, yeah, yeah
I'm a back door man, wha
The men don't know
Well, I'm a back door man
I'm a back door man
Whoa, baby, I'm a back door man
The men don't know

That's really my mine gripe with them, they should be remembered as one of the better popular acts of musics greatest age but not as the quintessential psychedelic rock band of the era. The fact that Morrison was often too high to perform should hinder their reputation not enhance it, but alas this is why they are the 16th most overrated band ever. This Doors fan's is the end and their is no incestuous rape in sight.
You do know that Morrison didn't write Back Door Man, right?

Anyway, I have to admit that I used to love the Doors (for about six months), but nowadays I never really feel like playing their records. I do like The End, Crystal Ship, and a few others. When The Music's Over, on the other hand, is pretty awful.
WaspStar is offline   Reply With Quote