Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #68 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I'm pretty sure it could be fielded by anyone who's heard a complete album. It's not just the lack of complexity or depth that gives cry to the call "overrated," but the humungous flaws in the rhythm section of their music. Don't get me wrong; Jack White is a great guitarist, a talented lyricist and an overall good songwriter. But Meg White is an embarrassment to music. She isn't simple - she's completely off-beat! She is singlehandedly the worst drummer in music, and one of the most inappropriate drummers ever. Don't believe me? Go listen to Seven Nation Army and listen to the breaks after the verse and pre-chorus. And THAT's supposed to be one of their best songs.

Raconteurs = good. The White Stripes = horribly overrated.
Complexity and depth do not give birth to greatness, and the lack of the aforementioned qualities do not detract from the state of one's greatness.

Meg White's drumming and its effect on the rating of the stripes:

First, one 5 second section of an offbeat is not going to turn any fan 180 - since it is such a miniscular fraction of their entire discography. Second, Meg White has never, EVER been called a "great" technical drummer by anyone. What people DO say is that the way she drums fits in completely and totally with the music that the Stripes play.

That being said, your big point in this post is that the Stripes are "overrated" because Meg doesn't have the best grasp on drum technique or music theory (which noone... has ever claimed). So, how could they be overrated based on the fact that Meg is no John Bonham? Since they were never rated based on that fact to begin with. When people talk about the White Stripes, you won't hear them talk about the wondrous complexity of Meg's drumming... you hear about Jack mostly (you gave him a load of credit yourself) and how Meg does her job by keeping time with thundering drums.

Come on now...