Music Banter - View Single Post - Kula Shaker - K
Thread: Kula Shaker - K
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Akira
Dazed and confuzzled

It is a fun album overall, but there are some really good moments in it that take it beyond.

Crispian Mills, the lead singer, made comments about the Swastika and people took it the wrong way. Most people don't understand that this symbol had origins and meanings way before Hitler came along, even after Crispian explains it, haha.

Anyway, this is taken from wikipedia:

On Sunday 20 April 1997, the national UK newspaper The Independent ran a front page article in which it claimed that Crispian Mills "had dabbled with Nazism and its most potent symbol, the swastika."[2]. The article drew together various comments Mills had made to the UK music press in 1996 and early 1997. In one of the interviews from March 1997 for the NME (New Musical Express) the following was printed:

Crispian: (in reference to his vegetarian beliefs that killing animals is just as bad as killing humans) The principle is we've got a violent society, we always go on about the virtues of peace but we aren't living a peaceful lifestyle

New Musical Express: It's an obvious comparison, but Hitler was a vegetarian who had no qualms about murdering humans, babies included, by the thousands.

Crispian: Right, but Hitler knew a lot more than he made out. Hitler and his whole gang weren't just a bunch of f___ing psychos, they were also into magic and all that. I mean, talking about ruffling feathers with statements in magazines, I love the swastika. It's a brilliant image, it symbolises peace and the sun and illumination - it's everywhere in India. I'd love to have great big flaming swastikas onstage just for the f__k of it. It's like, that was Hitler, don't let him steal something like that from you. I mean the Nazis studied the Vedas, the Scriptures, the Holy Grail, but they were just using it as a power trip.

New Musical Express: You have a sneaking admiration for Hitler don't you?

Crispian: No...but it's a shame the baddies always get the good uniforms. Ha ha! *end quote*

However the intentions, it certainly didn't help his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I'd rather my face reek of women's body parts than of comic book ink and dirty NES cartridges.
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote