Music Banter - View Single Post - Is racism REALLY that relevant in music?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
WolfAtTheDoor
ironing your socks

Default Is racism REALLY that relevant in music?

this has something that has angered me quite a bit. Jay-Z recently headlined Glastonbury, something which according to the media upset quite a few people. 'Hip Hop does not belong in Glastonbury' Noel Gallagher said. Rather ignorant of him to say, yes. But is that REALLY racist? Several articles I read about the matter of Jay-Z headlining Glasto seemed to all have the same underlying theme - that the people who were against it, MUST be racist.

Before that, Lethal Bizzle was bottled at Download festival. Yet again, the media pushed it as a racist attack. Lethal Bizzle came out with a statement afterwards, saying that he respected the crowds attitudes and obviously many of them were hardcore metallers who would not appreciate a Rap act coming on stage. He then said that he understands, because if a metal band turned up to a grime rave, things could have been even worse for them. Which is a completely true and respectable statement.

It just angers me, because I do not believe that in these times racism is relevant in music at all. In fact, the media pushing these incidents as racist attacks is simply instigating bitterness between races. I highly doubt that the bottling of Lethal Bizzle was a collective racist assault. It was merely a bunch of metallers who took pride in their genre, and did not want to see some rapper up on stage. Panic At The Disco were bottled at Reading, was that racist? No it wasn't. It was because the crowd thought they were ****.

Music is not something where racism belongs. It isn't like football matches, where a bunch of lunk-headed neanderthals use skin colour to insult the opposing teams players. In music, everyone is in the same team, regardless of race.
WolfAtTheDoor is offline   Reply With Quote