Music Banter - View Single Post - Who's The Better Elvis?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Translation of how most see this:

You want the guy that redneck inbreds like or...

The nerdy looking guy you try to dress like and pretend to own all the albums of to get pussy from college girls?

This whole racism thing is just guilty white people looking for a way to show their not racist. I mean was anyone else playing working class blues like Cudrupp's with disgusting pep and vigor?

Say Presley at worst was too excited to add an appropriate emotion to the music and accidentally hit a nerve but when you say he wins out because of racism, it means everyone who ever liked him then wanted to see black people hung from a tree.

I'm no huge fan of either but ever since I bought "When I was cruel" I was a Presely fan much more.

The King.
Costello was far more racist than Presley ever was. Presley was the man covering the songs and integrating blues riffs into his music. The overwhelming majority of his fans WERE racists, but Presley himself wasn't. Costello, on the other hand (being both a fan of Presley's and outspoken to the last), WAS indeed a racist, and his Buddy Holly sheen does nothing to mask the foul stench. But he was a far superior songwriter and musician. Presley may have been the innovator and the sex symbol, but he was no lyrical or musical genius.

Please, don't try to dissuade people's distaste for Elvis Presley by saying that we're trying to assuage our guilt about racism. It is evident that Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, or Bo Diddley didn't enjoy as much popular acclaim as Presley, and not because they were worse musicians. It's because they were black. And not a fucking thing is gonna change that.

Don't try to feed us accusatory bullshit, mmmkay?