Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who's The Better Elvis?
Elvis Costello 18 62.07%
Elvis Presley 11 37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Steps View Post
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
oops.
Burpgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Steps View Post
opinions? i really think Presley is incredibly overrated.
Yeah but the Who are a completely different act!!!!!
he he he!~
But I do agree the Who are a better act then Elvis
ADELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
- ) ) < > ( ( -
 
WWWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,653
Default

I never really got into either of them, so I guess I liked them both about the same.
However, I saw Elvis Costello live a few weeks ago when he opened up for The Police. So he gets my vote.
__________________
wwwp makes you a playlist pt. 1
wwwp makes you a playlist pt. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
church is still boring even with Kanye.
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Translation of how most see this:

You want the guy that redneck inbreds like or...

The nerdy looking guy you try to dress like and pretend to own all the albums of to get pussy from college girls?

This whole racism thing is just guilty white people looking for a way to show their not racist. I mean was anyone else playing working class blues like Cudrupp's with disgusting pep and vigor?

Say Presley at worst was too excited to add an appropriate emotion to the music and accidentally hit a nerve but when you say he wins out because of racism, it means everyone who ever liked him then wanted to see black people hung from a tree.

I'm no huge fan of either but ever since I bought "When I was cruel" I was a Presely fan much more.

The King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burpgun View Post
Where the hell did you get that? PFLAG's application for clown college?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Translation of how most see this:

You want the guy that redneck inbreds like or...

The nerdy looking guy you try to dress like and pretend to own all the albums of to get pussy from college girls?

This whole racism thing is just guilty white people looking for a way to show their not racist. I mean was anyone else playing working class blues like Cudrupp's with disgusting pep and vigor?

Say Presley at worst was too excited to add an appropriate emotion to the music and accidentally hit a nerve but when you say he wins out because of racism, it means everyone who ever liked him then wanted to see black people hung from a tree.

I'm no huge fan of either but ever since I bought "When I was cruel" I was a Presely fan much more.

The King.
Costello was far more racist than Presley ever was. Presley was the man covering the songs and integrating blues riffs into his music. The overwhelming majority of his fans WERE racists, but Presley himself wasn't. Costello, on the other hand (being both a fan of Presley's and outspoken to the last), WAS indeed a racist, and his Buddy Holly sheen does nothing to mask the foul stench. But he was a far superior songwriter and musician. Presley may have been the innovator and the sex symbol, but he was no lyrical or musical genius.

Please, don't try to dissuade people's distaste for Elvis Presley by saying that we're trying to assuage our guilt about racism. It is evident that Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, or Bo Diddley didn't enjoy as much popular acclaim as Presley, and not because they were worse musicians. It's because they were black. And not a fucking thing is gonna change that.

Don't try to feed us accusatory bullshit, mmmkay?
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
Later on...
 
FireInCairo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,236
Default

All Presley did was angliscise black music
he made boring rockabilly then boring faux operatic pop
elvis costello is a fantastic songwriter
FireInCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Groupie
 
eggyhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Default

The actual "greatness" of Elvis is definitely overrated. None of his songs are all that great (in my opinion), but I can't deny that he opened the doors for other acts such as the Who.
eggyhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

The fact of the matter is that the best Elvis is The Evil Elvis, Glenn Danzig. And that's despite the fact that he's a jackass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Minstrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 436
Default

Elvis Presley is kind of the Joe DiMaggio of music. His iconic status is out of proportion with his greatness, but both were definitely great.

Early Elvis music is still pretty fantastic, in my opinion. I don't think it's the best music ever, but it's easy to see why he took the nation by storm with it.

And he wasn't just a copyist. He may have owed a greater debt to bluesmen then was ever recognized at the time, but he he gave that music a rock energy and backbeat.

Other artists, like Little Richard, did also, but they were contemporaries (who deserved more credit than they got). Elvis was doing it at virtually the same time and deserves the same "innovation" credit.

I like Elvis Costello's music, but I'll take Presley over Costello any day. At least, his earlier stuff.
Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
down the rabbit hole
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: the mountain called monkey
Posts: 764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Elvis is not overrated. Here's why. No one (slight hyperbole) who did not live through the Elvis era really reveres him. He deserves a special place and history, I was too young to really remember but by sister is 10 years my senior and she still describes Elvis as the biggest American phenomenon she's witnessed in her life. Not because she likes the Music but because of how people reacted to him and his music and his performances.

Elvis, as much because of dumb luck and quite possibly racism as because of merit or skill paved the way for the Beatles, Dylan, Zeppelin, The Who Everyone (post 1960) who doesn't suck really. He didn't create his legacy and it killed the Man first on the inside, then the outside and then for ever. He is not over rated because everyone under rates him now because their is so many better choices. (And there are) But without what Elvis did none of it exists, regardless of rather or not someone else would have done it eventually they didn't and he did.

My Vote is for Costello, "Armed Forces" rocks!
Before having read this I had just voted "Elvis Presley" and I was about to give a whole spiel about how even though to the displeasure of many people present, without Elvis having popularized rock music (and music to the general public as commercialism hit the record industry) we would have never embraced it as though we did. Now you went and took all my words and I dont got much to say.
joyboyo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.