Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #159 (permalink)
TROY148
Music Addict

As a self-proclaimed hip-hop head I feel I must re-open the discussion on Kanye West. I understand that you would say he is overrated, I've heard people compare Kanye's rapping to that of Lupe Fiasco which is a ridiculous comparison. the thing I have an issue with is the people saying that Kanye West is garbage and uncreative. Sure, as a lyricist, Kanye West is most definitely sub-par, but his production style more than makes up for it. He's not a conventional rapper either, Kanye is more of punchline rapper, he'll say a coupl okay rhymes and then say something that makes you chuckle, it's a breath of fresh air from a lot of hip-pop played on the radio. As for Kanye's use of samples, I don't believe it's lack of creativity, to be able to listen to one song and form something entirely different out of it, is a form of creativity. I'd compare it to garbage diving, he's found something that is forgotten in some sense and made something new.
Jay-z's "Lucifer" is a good example
Sample:
YouTube - Chase The Devil-Max Romeo
Lucifer:
YouTube - Jay-z - Lucifer

There is a distinct difference in feeling you get from both tracks which I like. So yes, Kanye is a ****y mutha and, yes, his rappig is sub-par compared to a Lupe Fiasco or a Jay-z etc.. but his skills lie as a producer/punchline rapper also keep in mind, another celebrated producer/MC, Dr. Dre, was never the greatest on the mic either.
TROY148 is offline   Reply With Quote