Music Banter - View Single Post - Most inaccessible albums/artists ever
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
Musically Crass are almost closer to noise rock than to punk, so I would recommend bands like Big Black, Unwound, Melt Banana and The Boredoms if you're looking for something along the same lines.
Yeah, I like Big Black, Unwound and Melt Banana. The Boredoms are yet another of those bands for me that I've wanted to check out for a long time but never got around to getting anything by. Any recommendations on a good album to start with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
Yes Sir, I Will is pretty much a long political diatribe with the music coming in a far second, so yes, the music itself is completely directionless, but the lyrics are so pointed that it gets unbearable to listen to. Penis Envy is a much, much better album, where the message takes second seat to the music. Of course a lot of people (read: punks) don't like it because of the female vocals and probably prefer hearing about anarchy than feminism, something that is actually relevant to their misogynistic lives.
I'll have to check out Penis Envy, it sounds like it would be up my alley. I certainly don't mind music having a message, but it does annoy me when the political screeds (or religious screeds or whatever) are placed ahead of making good music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
i don't think i personally know anyone besides myself who can get into joy division...
That's weird. It seems like most people at least like "Love Will Tear Us Apart".
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote