Music Banter - View Single Post - Official Porcupine Tree Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #55 (permalink)
zekethefreak
Music Addict

I listened to another of Steven Wilson's bands (No-Man) throughout the 90's, and it wasn't until the summer of 2001 that I decided to download some of his "other band" on Audio Galaxy. Out of 16 songs, I was floored by 15 of them. I have never looked back. I immediately ordered all of their albums up until that time (Lightbulb Sun, being the most recent). To this day, the genius of Steven Wilson STILL blows me away. If you are open minded, check out his other projects. No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion, IEM and his forthcoming solo album.
For me, STUPID DREAM and DEADWING are probably my two favorites, but I LOVE THEM ALL... with the exception of "On The Sunday of Life", which is good... excellent for someone in their late teens. For me, you can't compare the beauty of some of the early songs, STARS DIE, etc. But one can say the same about the technicality of his current line-up, especially since the addition of Gavin Harrison. He is one of the finest drummers on the planet, and has definitely added to the PT experience.

Oops... I didn't know that someone had moved a post from a thread that I tried starting. Y'all are going to think that I have Alzheimers, or something. Not the case. My apologies.

And I am still standing by Gavin. Watch him closely, as he plays live. And listen to the varieties of styles that he plays. He may not be THE best, but he's darned close.

Oh, and as far as ARRIVING SOMEWHERE, NOT HERE is concerned. I need to sound like a broken record, and tell you guys to study GAVIN! That, alone, makes this one a worthwhile watch. And yes, they may not tear the stage up, but most Prog bands don't. They are much more concerned about the technicality of the music, and making sure that they are sounding tight. Pink Floyd didn't have much presence. Rush doesn't have much presence, but the stage shows are amazing. Maybe someday, PT will be earning enough money to finance a big operation like those guys.
zekethefreak is offline   Reply With Quote