Music Banter - View Single Post - Selling Out
Thread: Selling Out
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
Why the term 'selling out' fucks me off:

It's a stupid fake term. The phrase implies that the artist in question should ALWAYS stick to a set plan throughout their career. If an artist wants to change in a certain way in order to sell records (which has been happening FOREVER so i don't know why it pisses everyone off so much) then so be it, it's often resulted in some brilliant music. Imagine if Bowie didn't change to accomodate himself to each passing style? We'd be without some great albums.

I think the thing that annoys me the most about it all is that it is a term that is only ever used by obnoxious little ****heads (no offense). If you are THAT worried about how much an artist is selling and where their T-shirts are sold then you have very strange ideas about what it means to be a music fan.

There is no such thing as a pure punk mentality to making music and distributing it, whatever bands you listen to i can guarantee there will be some element of corporate bull in there. Just don't let it bother you and if you feel the need to say some music is crap then just judge the music itself.

I agree completely, although with Bowie you could argue that rather than attempting commercial success he was legitimately changing just to change. Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.

I feel like theres a difference between embracing a more poppy sound/genre hopping and clearly attempting to gain fans at the expense of musical quality. It shouldnt bother me, because I can just choose not to listen to those albums, but its still sad to see a band decline no matter what reason.

Id like to also add that I dont feel like any band I listen to ever "sold out", so that last sentence is purely hypothetical.