Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Things That Piss Me Off About Video Games
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #137 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
odds are the size was relative to the manufacturing costs. smaller boards with more compact circuitry would cost more to make.
Well that makes sense. I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't have as much income when they made the Famicom/NES as Sega did when they made the Mega Drive/Genesis. Since Sega had a bunch of hit arcade games and Nintendo only had Donkey Kong and Mario Bros.

Either way, Nintendo had the money when they made the Super Famicom. It wouldn't have hurt them to make the cartridges and slots a little more compact.

Quote:
if anything the main mistake nintendo made with their early cartridges was assuming the kids playing their games would put them back into the plastic sleeves they came in to protect them from dust. same for the SNES, every cartridge i bought came with a snug fitting plastic cover for the bottom of the cart to keep dust away.
Yeah I remember those.

Nintendo didn't count on the fact that us American kids are pretty disorganized, we all ended up losing those damn things.

Quote:
i don't think it's so much that the sega games were better manufactured so much as the games were played a few times then the kids just went over to their friends houses to play some nintendo.
Now just hold on there mister that's a low blow and I don't think that's true at all.

Sega had (still does) a very loyal fanbase. In fact when I was a kid everyone I knew had a Genesis, and most kids prefered it to Nintendo.

Quote:
going back to the master system sega games featured packaging similar to modern dvds with a spot to store the game back in it's giant case. anyone who didn't bother using those cases had just as many blinking screen issues as the next kid.
Well I'm talking specifically about the Genesis. Since they packaged their games in pretty much the same way as the Master System, plastic boxes with little things to hold the cartridges, we actually did keep the games in the boxes. But in the later years they started putting their games into cardboard boxes and we pretty much had nothing to put games into at that point, but even those have been more durable than NES or SNES cartridges, from my experience, I honestly believe it's due to their design.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote