Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it possible to objectively judge music?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

You can't really judge any art objectively, because there are no criteria for judging something purely aesthetic. You can objectively judge the technical skill involved in the music but that is the least part of what makes music great.
I would say that some people have more knowledgeable opinions, but in the end it still all subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaraki Kenpachi View Post
Actually I think it is very possible. The factor that plays into this the most, in my opinion of course, is whether you actually like multiple genres of music. If you do that means your pallet is more mature, IMO, and you can find the good/bad in many more diff types of music.

Like I myself listen to everything from Johnny Cash to DMX, and everything inbetween. I'd say I can gauge the rock, country, rap, and r&b from my era very well.

From my short time on this board it seems that people dont branch out too much and judge music that they havent even heard. Which is just ignorant, but hey if it makes you feel bigger than you are go for it. Meanwhile I'm rocking out to everything under the sun.
Really? I would say that most of the members are quite open to new musical styles.

And if you say you can objectively judge music, what makes your opinion superior to those who disagree with you?

Last edited by Fruitonica; 09-27-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote