Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it possible to objectively judge music?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Stengel View Post
The other thing to consider is: If music really is completely subjective, why then on this forum are groups frequently referred to as inferior/bad. For example, if everyone truly believed it was all subjective, would those two new grunge kids get any crap? Maybe some, but any musical discussion would be, "Well, I guess its just a matter of taste if you think Mudhoney is far superior to Dinosaur Jr.", instead of, "Are you fucking serious?!?!"

Its another big point Im trying to make, in a discussion like this its much easier to argue that no music is really better, its all a matter of taste-but this is rarely practiced by anyone, here, or anywhere.
1. On the internet, to avoid the tedium of preceeding every post with "imo" or "It's only my opinion," it's easier to just say "So-and-so sucks." Also, the terms "great" and "awful," while implying objectively, are usually understood to mean "I like this album" or "I don't like this album."

2. The people who do take it seriously ("I am right and you are wrong") tend to be the biggest jackasses on the board.

3. When people say "are you fucking serious?", again, I think it's really a way of saying, "Wow, our opinions are really different on this matter and I can't relate to you at all," rather than, "Gee, you're an idiot for liking/disliking this band."

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
Objectively judging music sounds really boring.
Yep. What's the point of listening to music if it's merely an exercise to see what you should like?