Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it possible to objectively judge music?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #43 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

We need to argue the merits of our favourite artists to vindicate our adoration of said artists. We all deep down want acceptance and so we post away on forums hoping that someone will agree or say that our choices are the balls. It's human nature to debate, to debase, to criticise or to accept and assimilate.

If we breakdown an atypical internet forum into it's components then it is full of arseholes peddling their wares (metaphorically speaking) but we all secretly want confrontation, acceptance or even acquiesence.

To say that all forums are full of egotistical idiots or opinionated people is entirely correct. There are massively varying degrees of this but the internet has given the bedroom bound self styled music fountain a voice and quite rightly so. Everybody really wants to be heard and giving opinions on music provides a connection.

I am certainly not saying that forums are not worthy. Far from it. I have heard so many more bands since joining MB that I would'nt have heard before and have gained a few friends and more respect of peoples tastes but at the end of the day my tastes are right and yours are wrong*. We all think that OUR OWN knowledge and musical tastes are still better than anyone elses no matter how we dress it up. This is self. The true test is whether we can be humble enough to let others intrude upon our own ridiculous charade of self importance. I would like to think that I can.

*I hope that people can see what I am trying to say here. It's not a statement to infuriate or written to be elitist. It's a view that we all probably have but (quite rightly) bury in our psyche's.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote