Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it possible to objectively judge music?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 AM   #49 (permalink)
Fyrenza
Account Disabled

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaraki Kenpachi View Post

So in that regard yes I can objectively critique an album on a song by song basis of coursed based purely on my preferences but like I said my pallet isnt very restrictive.

I stand by my initial post, if you like a variety of music (not a variety of artists within one style) then you can objectively judge music because your bias is not as extreme or pronounced.
i'm going to have to agree with you zaraki

even here in these forums
i know that i'm more likely to listen to a list of music posted by one member over another simply because my tastes coincide with the one
and i think of the lists as reviews of a sort

i think all of us do that

really
ask yourself
do you have the time to sit and listen to every new band/album/song?

most of us don't and we rely on networks of like-minded -- well -- critics, like our friends and acquaintances and internet buds

and for my part
i would rather read what zaraki has to say about an album
than what i might have to say about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitonica View Post
Your open listening style grants you an informed opinion, but it is still opinion.

Because once you judge something objectively there isn't room for conflicting viewpoints. Essentially, you're saying that anyone who disagrees with you must be wrong.

it seems to me that what he'd be doing is stating his informed observations and that wouldn't necessarily rule out debate/discussion

and when it comes to which opinion you trust more
it would be unwise not to opt for experience and diversity of taste

imho
Fyrenza is offline   Reply With Quote