Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rolling Stones vs. The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #549 (permalink)
5-Track
Music Addict

I end up listening to certain Stones records a lot more, and their influences are ultimately more in line with my own... Plus Keith is one of my three or four favorite guitar players, no matter what he's playing. The new movie (Shine A Light) is terrific with the exception of Jack White who, IMHO, should be embalmed alive and his ashes scattered in a Wal-Mart. (Well, really I can't wish him that much harm as a human being, just as an icon. As a human being I wish he would give it all up and become a retail wonk at a local natural food store in, say, Topeka)... Darryl Jones is the bass player Charlie and Keith have been needing for, what, 127 years now? Great band, even if their songwriting has been about crap since Goat's Head Soup (which I liked, and certain tunes since, but generally that was the last reasonable blast, again IMHO)

Favorites include "Let It Bleed," "Black And Blue," "Exile On Main Street," others...

OK, so Beatles... "White Album" is something I come back to again and again, likewise bits of "Let It Be" and "Abbey Road" and certain other tunes and bits. There's a vibe there that can be found nowhere else. It is important (to me) to drink it in from time to time.

I do listen to early Stones records - less now than I used to, but there's something about them that I like. Early Beatles has held up for me less well.

So - Stones overall, but Beatles very important for what they were/are.