Music Banter - View Single Post - The Ultimate Hipster Playlist / Good Albums that Suck Because You Exist
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #64 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post
Yeah people like it when they have an album they enjoy but a lot of people don't know about it or it isn't appreciated. It makes them feel special and superior in their own little world.

And then thanks to a review, or something similar, suddenly everyone is aware of it, or are rating it highly. They no longer feel special and even begin to be afraid of being lumped in with the 'moronic masses'.

Watch this space for the fans of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

I feel like way more people listen to music to not fit in, than to fit in, which is what lots of pitchfork haters seem to suggest. I mean, christ, if you wanted to fit in why the hell would you listen to Neutral Milk Hotel? Death Cab seems much easier to find. And now, with Aeroplane its like 7th grade with the poser police out in full force again, since the major criticizers seem to be ex-fans. Even Urban, who put ITAOS in his list of things that annoy him about music lists some obscure NMH demos like "Beauty" as part of his music collection. Note Lucifer's correct spelling of Mangum, rather than 'Magnum' which would most likely be the common misspelling for a casual fan who hasnt found the need to google him before

Just speculation here.