Music Banter - View Single Post - The Debates
Thread: The Debates
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #118 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrenza View Post
it most assuredly wasn't an us vs them situation

we were different
i thought you might have some insight into that
-- from the inside looking out

did you go to a religious school?
one last reply:

no I did not go to a "religious school." I grew up in Saudi Arabia, had Saudi friends, went to their houses, went to school with them, played with them. I knew people who went to "religious schools." they were devout muslims, and some of the kindest, gentlest, and most compassionate people I've ever met. I did see that we were "different." I saw that we in the west have way more freedom and prosperity than most Saudis could ever dream of. I saw that our government wasn't nearly as corrupt as theirs. I saw that aside from this, the vast majority were just like me.

In cambodia I saw that they were different as well. I was embarrassed that everyone I worked with spoke english as well as their native khmer. I was embarrassed that a street kid in phnom penh spoke fluent english having never been to a school in his life before and that It took me a week just to get a handle on khmer numbers and simple phrases. I saw that in spite of having a horribly corrupt government, living in incredible poverty, most of them were better than "us."

I'm not sure what you meant by "them" being "different." But I can say with confidence it is certainly not what I saw. The simple fact that you lived in a foreign country, call the locals foreigners, and point out that they didn't speak english speaks volumes as to the type of views you have. Your views on the subject most likely could not be further than mine.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote