Music Banter - View Single Post - The Election (no not that one, the OTHER one)
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Default The Election (no not that one, the OTHER one)

What a waste of time and money to have an election this month. Another minority government; it's baffling that Harper couldn't have won a majority in even these times. The Liberal leadership was a joke, his economic plans were nonsensical at best, and he made no move whatsoever to cater to voters in western canada, to where the majority of the wealth and business in the country is shifting. We're also in an economic crisis and the guy is a freakin economist!

Layton made some true gains, but Duceppe perhaps did better than any other candidate given his party history. To go from being practically irrelevant to having 50 seats in one night is unbelievable. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when someone has 50 seats in parliament and yet is only operating in one province, there needs to be an adjustment in our electoral system. Some type of proportional representation needs to happen.

This was relevant in the green party as well. In MANY ridings the green candidate was second in terms of percentage of votes, but because they never won the majority, they did not get any seats. Not that I think the green party would be fit to form any kind of government, but it would be nice if their concerns were heard among the other parties.

Having said that, I think that while the election was an absolute waste of time and money and nothing was gained, the outcome isn't all that bad. As much as I am not a conservative, the Liberal party is by no means a better option. A carbon tax at this time would sink the economy, it's a bad idea, it should not even be entertained. Later on, whenever the world finally pulls itself up out of this recession, then maybe it can be put on the table for further discussion.

Along that line, Canada's economy is one of the most stable economies in the world. Harper's government has been decently good at managing that, however much it has screwed up in regards to health care and social programs. So if the liberals, NDP, and *shudder* bloc can form some kind of coalition government, maybe the conservatives can be persuaded to put funding in other areas such as health care, social services, and, dare I say it, the arts. Though they'd probably have to torture a confession from that uncultured robot that the arts are worth funding.

Lastly, both the liberals and the conservatives need new leadership. harper has proven that he is not electable in canada as a majority leader. dion is just an out of touch twat who is not connected to any part of canada aside from his own backyard. My hope would be that justin trudeau stepped up to lead the liberal party in the future.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote