Music Banter - View Single Post - The Election (no not that one, the OTHER one)
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
I have to disagree with you on the carbon tax: why not now?
Although Canada is in a bit of a recession like other countries, the economy is good enough to impose $10 per tonne of CO2; in Sweden it's $150!
I think it would bring more investment to Canada, improve air pollution conditions so less people would actually need to go to the doctor, and give lower-middle class individuals stronger tax cuts than Harper currently is.

But jeez, supporting the Liberals right now...
It's hard not to when Elizabeth May (At least she's willing to bend for a general consensus, unlike Ralph Nader) said to vote Liberal in close ridings, but Dion!
He's like a member of Bloc in disguise almost.
I'm just sick of Harper's deregulations though; it has to stop.

Who are you voting for Jibber?
I'm all for a carbon tax, but I think it better to wait until the extent of the economic crisis is known. No one can predict how bad the situation will get. The only thing economists are venturing to say about it is "it will reach bottom when it reaches bottom" and "we don't know." I believe it would be better not to add another strain on an already very unstable market. Right now it is just starting, the US economy, not only the stock market, could be facing a collapse. At that point, 80% of our exports are in serious jeopardy. Yes sweden's carbon tax is 150%, but they don't rely on oil exports and revenues nearly as much as we do for our economic welfare. Its not a sound comparison as our markets and commodities are so completely different. Once this current situation blows over, or we can at least evaluate the extent the damage will be, then I would love to see a carbon tax imposed.

And I agree with harper, which is why I was so pleased with the minority government once more. Harper's big environmental concession was to stop bitumen exports to countries with less environmental standards than canada, which, does not rule out much since ours are currently among the worst. big freakin deal. I hope that the conservative party will be able to weather the economic storm, be kept in check by the liberals and other parties, and once the global market stabilizes, another election can be called, by which point the liberals will have found an electable leader.

And I voted green. Even thought I think May is still a bit of a nutjob, I'd very much like to see more advocates for environmental change in parliament.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote