Music Banter - View Single Post - Flawed masterpieces
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roygbiv View Post
Anyways, definitely the Stone Roses' debut.

If they had cut "Don't Stop," "Fool's Gold" and maybe even "Elephant Stone" out of the mix, the record, to me, would have been flawless, and I might have bought it by now if it weren't for the questionable pacing of the album.

Don't Stop comes in too soon. It's a mess of a song with no groove and five minutes too long. It destroys the pacing of the album completely. Fool's Gold is just redundant - we already have "She Bangs the Drums." And, finally, "Fools Gold" destroys an otherwise fantastic album closer: "I am the Resurrection."

I actually think that the US version of the debut tops the original issue. Fool's Gold feels tacked on, but in a good way, like Waterloo Sunset at the end of Something Else. It feels like an afterword. Elephant Stone is a bit iffier, but I think it's a good transition from Drums to Waterfall.

And I love Don't Stop, but I can see why a lot of people single it out as the weak spot on the album. The backwards tape gimmick actually works for once on that track. Ok, I'll admit that Mersey Paradise, Standing Here, or Where Angels Play might have worked in place of some of the lighter tracks on the album, but hey...I think the album plays perfectly as it is.

I think Side 1 of the debut, with or without Elephant Stone, is pretty seamless. It's only Side 2 that could do with a bit of rejigging. Sugar Spun Sister into Made Of Stone doesn't really work.