Music Banter - View Single Post - Obama ~ The Issues
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #299 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
It doesn't matter if you endorse it, it's reality and it has to be dealt with in reality. It's about moving forward from the past right or wrong and trying to do what's best in the present for the future. I don't care if it's a warranted war by ant legal, moral or ethical standards (make no assumptions based on this statement's liberal use of language), I know what we are doing is the right thing and that's enough for me. I recognize America as the good guys on this one and therefore am going to root for them. I am cynical about the governments aptitude not it's intentions. My mind changes constantly on subjects because circumstances are ever evolving, you don't need to argue just offer your perspective and any analysis of mine you have.

War always sucks because the loss of innocent lives sucks death sucks and death is scary. War is a means only acceptable after reason, rational and discussion have been exhausted. The bottom line about the Wars justification is this. The President approved it, Congress approved it, Intelligence approved it, The American Public approved of it. Knowing what we know now you'd be a fool to say it's justified based on the merits presented to the public but that was never an option. We'd didn't know what we know now then.
You misunderstand me. I am by no means a pacifist. I fully support the war in Afghanistan (my father has been there four times with the Army Corps of Engineers). At first I admittedly didn't understand the circumstances before the war in Iraq, but I've come to terms since then and understand now that it should never have been fought in the first place.

Americans were guilted into going into Iraq. The mantra of the time was patriotism, and whenever someone questioned our motives, the response came out the same: 9-11. In reality, there wasn't any appreciable evidence of Iraq harboring any more danger than you might find at a small armory. Our borders are too well protected to allow for anything more than domestic terrorism. In addition, we were misled by falsified intelligence reports of weapons of mass destruction. The short answer: the American people were emotionally and mentally belittled, and a $1,900,000,000,000 debt was our reward.

I'm not trying to deride your intelligence, JJ. I just always thought our convictions clicked on more than a few levels and am henceforth disappointed that you aren't my biological father.