Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Influential Rock Artist Ever
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 AM   #207 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comus View Post
You're just compounding your ignorance with your argument, Freak Out! influenced the Beatles Sgt Peppers album which by your book probably influenced god in his creation of the world. Just checking the inaccurate tome of knowledge that is Wikipedia states that artists such as Black Sabbath cite Zappa as an influence.
If it had any influence on Sgt Pepper, then that influence is EXTRAORDINARILY vague and obscure. In fact the extent of the influence was probably the notion of the concept album (truth is, neither Freak Out! nor Sgt Pepper were particularly concept albums at all). Again, whatever influence it had on Sgt Pepper is WAY too obscure and opaque to be worth mentioning, especially since it is not reflected in the music at all.

I don't care what Wikipedia says. I don't hear Zappa in Sabbath. Not even a tad. Who can honestly claim that they can?!!!

Quote:
Also you can sing along to a hell of a lot of Zappa's stuff, Sheik Yerbouti is an awesome collection of comedic poppish songs, and those more familiar with his discography will agree with me that pretty much every album has something that will get stuck in your head for weeks.
I'm familiar with his discography through to the bonkers jazz weirdness of the mid-70s.

The only things that ever got stuck in my head, ever, from Zappa, was 'Motherly Love' and 'Suzie Creamcheese', and not because either are good pop songs but because they're so patently absurd and ridiculous as to be pretty much unforgettable. I needed to go through total recall to stop their recurrence in my nightmares.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote