Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #1682 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Kissed (1996)

I thought I would post a little more in depth on this film as it justify's more than a quick sentence.

Kissed is a film that upon first glance seems reprehensible. It's a film about necrophilia. For the unitiated that is sleeping with the dead. However Kissed is far from a schlocky piece of exploitation.

It is a daring and bold piece of work that despite it's seemingly lurid subject matter, remains intimate and enlightening.

The first time I saw this film was upon it's release in the mid 90's and I was blown away by the complexities that the film was presenting. The physical connotations of the interaction could easily descend into farce or indeed; repulsion. Yet the direction is subtle, the acting so sincere and the soundtrack so succinct, that you become embroiled within it's spell.

Kissed is a metaphor. It embraces acceptance, individuality, need, want, social inadequacy, loneliness and love with a deceptively easy stroke. The interaction between two disparate physical states is handled with aplomb and exquisite tenderness.

The film's climax can be spotted a mile away, yet it is handled so well that you can forgive it's naiveity. Finally it was one of the first films (aside from the usual musical and/or music video) that used music as a tool to enhance the narrative and atmosphere for dramatic and not commercial effect.

Here is the trailer if any of you are brave enough to take it on:

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote