Music Banter - View Single Post - Weezer (2008)
Thread: Weezer (2008)
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
3. Pork and Beans - This is the single you've heard (if you've heard it) It's disappointing that this has become the typical Weezer single, but it's not awful. There are elements of what makes them a band I've really enjoyed at times. Overall just kind of a blah song. 6\10

While I’ll give you that the lyrics can be abysmal, “I’m fine and dandy with the “me” inside” (who went therapy here? Metallica or Weezer) I disagree about the song.

Occasionally pop songs are as well orchestrated as good classical, and I think this is an example. While I don’t have the ability to listen to the song as I write this, and use specific references, Weezer has mastered the art of brilliant harmonics, not only with their instruments, but with group vocal harmonies as well.

I’m not faulting you for your opinion, but I’m wondering if other criteria are being weighed more heavily than craft.

This is by no means a masterpiece; it doesn’t really get better as you listen to it more often. In fact, going back to those lyrics, those ones that really suck become more prominent and burrow into your skull until you want to graph your ears off, but those first three listens are the stuff dreams, unicorns, marketing budgets and kidz bop albums are built upon.