Music Banter - View Single Post - Morality and the Bible
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #141 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
Genesis 19:4-8: Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter; and they called to Lot and said to him, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them." But Lot went out to them at the doorway, and shut the door behind him, and said, "Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly. "Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations with man; please let me bring them out to you, and do to them whatever you like; only do nothing to these men, inasmuch as they have come under the shelter of my roof."

So the hero of the story, Lot, wants to protect the angels from being raped by the people of Sodom, and instead wants to give out his daughter to be raped. What morals can you draw from that?
You're misinterpreting this... hugely. This section does not encourage giving out your daughters to be raped. The reason why Lot did this is because, in those days, it was your "goal", so to speak to protect your guests, no matter what. The angels were Lot's guests.