Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #141 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
Genesis 19:4-8: Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter; and they called to Lot and said to him, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them." But Lot went out to them at the doorway, and shut the door behind him, and said, "Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly. "Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations with man; please let me bring them out to you, and do to them whatever you like; only do nothing to these men, inasmuch as they have come under the shelter of my roof."

So the hero of the story, Lot, wants to protect the angels from being raped by the people of Sodom, and instead wants to give out his daughter to be raped. What morals can you draw from that?
You're misinterpreting this... hugely. This section does not encourage giving out your daughters to be raped. The reason why Lot did this is because, in those days, it was your "goal", so to speak to protect your guests, no matter what. The angels were Lot's guests.
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #142 (permalink)
Later on...
 
FireInCairo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
You're misinterpreting this... hugely. This section does not encourage giving out your daughters to be raped. The reason why Lot did this is because, in those days, it was your "goal", so to speak to protect your guests, no matter what. The angels were Lot's guests.
Protect random guests by allowing the rape of your daughters? still aint great morals....
I really don't believe the bible should be looked at as anything more than a collection of stories.
__________________
O G MUDBONE: Only You can prevent forest fires.
FireInCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #143 (permalink)
you wouldn't like me
 
pianokeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 124
Default

^ I agree. Plus even if you do have faith, the Bible wasn't written by God it was written by men. Also note not women, men. It's biased and full of moral confusions and not something I would use to guide me through life.
pianokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #144 (permalink)
Groupie
 
kaleidoscope..'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianokeys View Post
^ I agree. Plus even if you do have faith, the Bible wasn't written by God it was written by men. Also note not women, men. It's biased and full of moral confusions and not something I would use to guide me through life.
Man read it properly yourself before you say those kind of things. You really dont know whats in the Bible if you say this kind of thing.
kaleidoscope.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #145 (permalink)
you wouldn't like me
 
pianokeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidoscope.. View Post
Man read it properly yourself before you say those kind of things. You really dont know whats in the Bible if you say this kind of thing.
I have read the Bible, more than once. I still think it's sexist.
pianokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #146 (permalink)
Master Of Muzak
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere swarthy
Posts: 3,974
Default

The Bible has its uses, just like anything else. Is there something wrong with the Ten Commandments (on the whole) or something???
__________________
My Top 30 Albums of 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
You can't blame the Jews for everything...just most things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
Trump might be the best thing since free jazz.
Anteater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #147 (permalink)
Later on...
 
FireInCairo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,236
Default

Most christians I meet have only read what their minister/pastor/priest/whatever has read to them in church.
They really should read it...its embarrassing when an atheist knows more about their faith than them.
__________________
O G MUDBONE: Only You can prevent forest fires.
FireInCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #148 (permalink)
What a guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 2,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidoscope.. View Post
Man read it properly yourself before you say those kind of things. You really dont know whats in the Bible if you say this kind of thing.
The Bible was the main argument against women getting the right to vote. So how about YOU read it properly before you say it isn't sexist.

And to Anteater... the ten commandments are ok, respecting your parents no matter what is kind of over-generalization. But the ten commandments are all things that humans should do naturally, or because society already tells us to do them (except for not worshipping false idols).
__________________
last.fm
khfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #149 (permalink)
you wouldn't like me
 
pianokeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfreek View Post
The Bible was the main argument against women getting the right to vote. So how about YOU read it properly before you say it isn't sexist.
Thank you, and this is exactly right.

You can't just assume that because someone doesn't believe in the Bible that they haven't read it... I'm actually more knowledgeable on much of the content than many Christians I know.
pianokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #150 (permalink)
Groupie
 
kaleidoscope..'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianokeys View Post
Thank you, and this is exactly right.

I'm actually more knowledgeable on much of the content than many Christians I know.
Im sure you are. I wouldn't be surprised..and i agree with the comment that most christians just repeat and know what their pastors have read to them.

Granted the Bible has been used by people to argue against women voting but if you look at the whole story of the bible and the puposes behind the passages on women you will find that people have in the past used these passages incorrectly. The bible isnt sexist but the way christians have used it has been sexist and that has been wrong.
kaleidoscope.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.