Music Banter - View Single Post - Need a guitar
Thread: Need a guitar
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
they sell larger gauge strings for a reason though. people who complain about it being 'flappy' are probably still using .9s and expecting it to feel like a 25.5" scale instead of using .10s and getting a similar feel.
I actually own both and have had guages ranging from .09 to .11 on my short scale viper.

The viper has always felt floppy to me regardless of string guage. Also, the heavier the string guage, the more mud in the tone. short scale + thick strings = mud city. Great for TEH BROOTALZ but horribly awful for anything where you really want single note definition in a fast riff or chord.

In comparison, my 25.5 scale guitars feel perfect with either guage string on them. The 10's feel chunky enough to give good tone, but the higher tension keeps them from mudding up too much. The 9's have a slightly thinner tone with excellent playability and the but through quite nicely, whereas on a short scale they just felt like elastic bands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote