Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 100 Guitarists Of All Time:
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
Lol yes!

No but seriously it's a boring list that sucks off classic rock. Eddie Van Halen has no business being near the top of any list, same goes for Angus Young. Talented as they may be, they were two of the most unoriginal jokes of all time. I like how Buckethead is listed as being with GNR even though he recorded like 3 songs and left. Way to give some credit to his solo stuff... There's a couple more big time blemishes as well. Satriani, Mick Mars, Slash, etc... I could go on and on.
Actually, yes he does, in fact, he's too low.

What you think of him or the guitarists he influenced means absolutely nothing, because it's undeniable that EVH was one of the most original and influencial guitar players of all time.

The fact that you go as far as to call him unoriginal clarifies that you don't know what you're talking about, 1978 he was the only guitarist of his kind. You can wiki some ridiculously obscure examples of other guitarists playing as fast as he did or doing two hand tapping, but he was the first to combine the two and spawn a whole generation of guitarists, as loathesome as they may be, his impact is unrivaled by no one but Hendrix.

The only other guitarist I can think of who used two handed tapping before EVH btw, is Steve Hackett, though he used it in a completely different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInCairo View Post
Just to get off the EVH vs ACDC track

Jimmy Page was a horribly sloppy guitarist who wrote a couple of good riffs and couldn't keep his **** together live. Jeff Beck and Brian May far outclass him in all categories barring bull**** ones such as sales et al.
Bad reasoning is bad, you're stating the obvious, and do you think anyone honestly cares?

Page wasn't a great guitarist despite the fact that he was sloppy. It was a big part of his appeal, same with Hendrix, he played like he just didn't give a f*ck, isn't this what all the music snobs say rock n roll "should" be when they write off progressive rock or any band with a great amount of technical know how?

Page sucks because he's sloppy, EVH sucks because he's technical, make up your damn mind.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote