Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 100 Guitarists Of All Time:
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #38 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I've always said the ultimate irony with Van Halen was that despite people worshipping the ground EVH walks on with regards to his guitar playing as soon as the frontman who couldn't sing a note fucked off they were nothing.

That should tell people something about EVH's contribution to music.
Thats a horrible example.

Thats like saying, well Paul McCartney must not be talented or influencial in anyway because you know, he sucks without the other guys.

With any band, chemestry is important, if you think DLR is the only reason Van Halen found success, then you're obviously crazy.

DLR's vocals did give Van Halen a distinct sound though which was lost when they got Sammy. But it goes without saying that what made Van Halen get peoples attention was the way EVH played, in 1978 every rock band had bluesy guitarists that were indistinguishable from another. EVH did something entirely different and thus inspired tons of musicians as a result, and yet, he's unoriginal and had no impact, based of course, on absolutely nothing.

Hilarious.

And no, I don't care about what you think about most of the guitarists he influenced, since I already know, and in fact, I dislike 90% of all the guitarists in the world who owe their existance to Eddie. But it dosen't change the fact that he inspired people, which as a music lover I have to respect.

If I were to go by an objective criteria I'd have to say that EVH is at least in the top 3 great guitarists of all time.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote